List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] Ethereal on Windows
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () flashcom ! net>
Date:       2000-01-26 5:59:08

> > There's a problem with the
> > GtkText widget that handles the hex dump pane; sometimes
> > the linefeeds aren't honored. But, this is with Gtk+-1.3, so
> > who knows if its a Gtk+ problem or an Ethereal problem.
>
> I forget whether I sent mail out about this

I did (although I don't know if that's the problem you're seeing or
not):

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:02:32 -0800
From: Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To: Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
Cc: Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com>, ethereal-dev@zing.org

> ... but the hex dump window seemed to be
> mangled somehow; I don't know if that's because the stuff to highlight
> the selected part of the packet isn't working right, or if it's because
> the GTK+ I'm using has a bug, or what.  I'll look into it.

It appears to be because of a bug in GTK+; the page at

	http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

says:

	The latest version of my port, 19991218, might be buggier than
	the next-to-previous version, 1990828.  If you have problems
	with the latest version, try the 19990828 version instead.

I first grabbed the packages

	glib-dev-19991218.zip
	gtk+-dev-20000104.zip
	extralibs-dev-19991218.zip

which are under "Developer packages" on that page; those produced a
mangled hex dump window.

So I backed up to the 19990828 version, by following the link from that
page to

	http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/index-19990828.html

and downloaded and installed the "Developer packages" from that page;
that seemed to work better (although it appears that, in the hex dump
window, the boldfaced versions of characters are wider than the normal
version, so the display is a little wrong on the lines that have
selected data).