List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] ethereal0.8.1 on HPUX 10.20
From:       Guy Harris <gharris () flashcom ! net>
Date:       2000-01-21 9:11:20

> On LIBS '-lc -lPW' needs to be appended. -lPW supplies alloca(). -lc before
> -lPW is needed to work around a bug in PW (at least on HPUX 10.20), else
> Error(data) remains undef.

Where is "alloca()" used?  The only code I can find that uses it is in
the parsers, and those appear to use it only if

	1) "alloca" is #defined, in which case it probably needn't be
	   fetched from a library;

	2) GCC is being used, which isn't the case for you;

	3) the machine is a SPARC, an SGI machine, or some flavor of x86
	   machine running SunOS (I don't know if that's a Sun386i, or a
	   PC running SunOS 5.x), which isn't the case for you;

	4) the machine is running AIX, which isn't the case for you;

so it shouldn't need "alloca()".

If it does need "alloca()", it's either coming from something other than
Ethereal (in which case that something is what needs to be fixed, e.g.
GTK+ or GLib - but I don't see any obvious use of "alloca()" there), or
I've missed some place other than the parsers that uses it, or there's
something wrong with the Bison parser that causes it to use "alloca()"
on HP-UX.