List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] Need Help setting of dev environment
From:       Gilbert Ramirez <gramirez () tivoli ! com>
Date:       1999-09-24 15:24:29

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:06:29AM -0500, John Lyssy wrote:

> I am using the latest version of LINUX and need help setting up
> environment/libraries to compile etc... I have been programming c & c++ for
> many years on the Dos/Windows OS, but am new to the UNIX platform. Could

I assume you are using a packaged distribution of Linux (RedHat, Debian,
SuSE, Turbo Linux, Caldera,...). Those distributions give you a package
manager, which lets you install many programs. You'll have to install
gcc, gtk+, gtk+-devel, zlib, zlib-devel, libpcap, libpcap-devel, binutils,
libc6-devel. If your distribution doesn't have the 'devel' packages, don't
worry.

Note that the term "latest version of Linux" would actually mean that you're
running the latest kernel, which is Alan Cox's development kernel 2.3.18ac8.
I think you mean "latest version of x", where x is your Linux distribution.

> anybody send me a ready to compile complete directory structure with all

You can download it from
http://ethereal.zing.org/distribution/ethereal-0.7.5.tar.gz

You need to uncompress it and unarchive it, which is like pkunzipping it. I'll
assume that you have GNU tar since you're using linux, so:

tar zxvf ethereal.tar.gz

will uncompress and unarchive the source tree. You will now have
an ethereal-0.7.5 directory.

Go to that directory and run './configure' then 'make'. It should compile
perfectly. :)

cd ethereal-0.7.5
./configure
make
su root
<password>
make install
ethereal&

> files and libraries required to compile. Also, how do I find out what
> software bugs need fixing and may be I can start on some minor fixes to get
> my feet wet.

The ethereal wishlist page is at http://ethereal.zing.org/wishlist.html
It's out of date; some of those wishes have come true.

--gilbert