List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    [ethereal-dev] Runts and other bad packets?
From:       Richard Sharpe <sharpe () ns ! aus ! com>
Date:       1999-04-10 23:20:49

Hi,

can any ethernet adapters give you statistics on runts and other bad packets?

The reason I ask is that I have a customer from hell.

They have a thin ethernet network with a length of 200 meters. Other 'experts'
have told them this should be OK.

I see the following:

One one Win95 client, during login to the NT server, the login script takes
an extraordinary amount of time.

When I do a packet trace, what I see is lots of:

  Client sends SMB request
  Server responds lickety-split (arount 1 to 2 ms)
  Client waits for up to 500ms
  Client sends next request.

I only just figured that maybe the client is having problems getting the
next packet onto the wire and that there are all sorts of runts and etc on
the wire that I am not seeing with NetMon as either it does not ask the
adapter (a Xircom PCMCIA CE2) or the adapter does not provide.

This would be an interesting thing to try to put into ethereal if one can
get such statistics from the adapter.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba (Team member), Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, C, ...