List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] GTK+ 1.2.x has threads support
From:       John McDermott <jjm () jkintl ! com>
Date:       1999-04-07 12:07:59

>> Hi,
>>
>> I notice that GTK+ 1.2.x has support for threads ...
>>
>> I often want to capture traffic and see the packet summaries as the
packets
>> go by, as well as to analyse them later. It would seem that using a data
>> capture thread to capture packets and a display thread to display the
>> packets as they are captured would seem like an idea ...
>>
>> Any thoughts.
>
>As long as we have threads support in all the OSes on which we'd want to
>support Ethereal - and are willing to require that people install GTK+
>1.2[.x], if necessary - it's reasonable.

While asking folks to install more software makes it more of a pain to get
going, the benefit would be far greater than the pain.  Also, do we know on
what platforms there is no threading these days?

>Another alternative might be - at least when "wiretap" supports live
>packet capture - to have its live packet capture interface include

This might be nice.  Do you have any idea when that might be?

--john

Name: John McDermott
VOICE: +1 505/377-6293 FAX +1 505/377-6313
E-mail: John McDermott <jjm@jkintl.com>
Writer and Computer Consultant