List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [ethereal-dev] The packet capture box does not display properly
From:       guy () WEAVER-GW ! netapp ! com (Guy Harris)
Date:       1999-03-30 19:36:31

> I have noticed with Ethereal under Linux that the packet capure box with
> the quit button does not display properly, as if the object has not been
> displayed.
>
> You can click on the stop button, and it works, but it does not update with
> packets captured.

This might be the result of "libpcap" not doing timeouts on raw packet
captures on Linux; here's some mail from Gerald about a patch to
"libpcap" to fix that:

	Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:16:58 -0600 (CST)
	From: Gerald Combs - Unicom Communications <gerald@unicom.net>
	To: ethereal-dev@zing.org
	cc: dr@v-wave.com
	Subject: [ethereal-dev] Libpcap timeout patch

	  Attached is a patch for libpcap 0.4a6, written by Brian Costello, that
	fixes the timeout problem with pcap-linux.c.  I wasn't able to
	find it on my machine at home, but Brian was kind enough to send
	me another copy.  It's also available at
	http://ethereal.zing.org/devteam/gerald/ .

	--
	Gerald Combs              gerald@unicom.net               (913) 327-5309
	Mouse cleaning czar                              Rocky Mountain Internet

The page in question also says

	libpcap-0.4-gerald.patch
	Updated version of Brian Costello's patch (below), which
	includes changes made by Guy Harris and myself.

so you might want to pick up the updated patch from there.