List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    [ethereal-dev] TCP reconstruction
From:       Mike Hall <mlh () io ! com>
Date:       1998-09-14 6:55:47

Well, here it is. First let me say I am sorry. I planned on delivering a
better product to you guys, but I don't have time for the next couple of
weeks.

BAD THINGS:

o There is no filtering of the telnet control codes and this generally
makes the begining and end of the stream look bad.

o Because I was looking at getting a telnet/rsh/other filter setup, I am
currently writing the TCP data from the stream to a file in /tmp. This is
very bad for several reasons, including a big security problem. I do read
it in right away and then delete it, but its still not the "Right way
(TM)"

o I have only tried this on reading files saved with tcpdump -w. I don't
think it will work on live capture, but mostly because of the way you tell
it to follow the stream.

o I did very little testing because I am crunched for time. It seems to
work for all the capture files I have here. But, I did not test this well
at all.

o I use a global to store current packet information. I was lazy and
trying to get this working. I have not fixed this yet.

GOOD THINGS:

o It will reconstuct the TCP streams.

o It handles out of order TCP packets.

o It handles fragmented TCP (resent TCP with longer payload)

o The reconstruct code is very well commented.

HOW TO USE:

Load up your pcap file using File->Load.
Click on a packet in a TCP stream you wish to view.
Click Tools->Follow TCP Stream.

A (libpcap) filter will be constructed and used to re-read the capture
file. Only the packets in the stream will be visible on the packet list. A
popup text box will display the data payload from the stream.

The filter is erased right after it finishes the re-read, so all you need
to do to see the full capture file is do a File->Open again.

THINGS TO DO:

o We need a telnet, 3270, rsh, and any other filter you guys think we
might need. If we process the TCP payload through these filters, we should
get nice human readable text from the streams.

o Clean the code up. Sorry about this one.

Anyway, let me know what your guys think. Drop me a line if you have any
questions.

--Mike

| Mike Hall               Real programmers dream in Java.           |
| mlh@io.com          Linux rules! Everything else just works.      |