List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-dev] test
From:       Gerald Combs <gerald () ethereal ! com>
Date:       2004-01-30 15:43:49

A virus also managed to slip through on Monday:

     http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200401/msg00217.html

The attachments have been removed from the mailing list archives for
both messages.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often this week.  Since Monday
over 3300 messages have been held for approval on the Ethereal mailing
lists.  This is an order of magnitude more than normal, and I've been
deleting held messages using 'rm' at a shell prompt instead of Mailman's
web interface.  The majority of these have been warnings from virus
scanners, infected messages, and spam.  Comparitively few have been
valid posts.  In order for a virus to make it to the list it has to be
"from" an address that's subscribed _and_ not be in our virus scanner's
database (assuming the list admin doesn't accidentally approve a virus
message).

This sucks.  Hopefully the flow will start dwindling soon.