List:       ethereal-dev
Subject:    Re: [Ethereal-dev] Feature request
From:       Eric Tetz <erictetz () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-03-29 23:29:24

--- Guy Harris <guy@netapp.com> wrote:
> In a capture that's not an "Update list of packets in real time"
> capture

I should have qualified my comments: they refer only to "Update list
of packets in real time", as this is the only way I use Ethereal.

> In a capture that *is* an "Update list of packets in real time"
> capture, it'd involve clearing the list *and* throwing the capture
> file away and starting a new one, as the first pane is populated, in
> such a capture, by incrementally reading the capture file as packets
> are added to it.

Well, I guess by "clear", I really mean "reset" - in other words,
"restart capture session using same settings", so the need to worry
about catching packets while the packet file is being tossed is
moot.  I don't think any other meaning for a such a clear button
would very useful; nobody's going to rely on timing a button press
to clear the list between packets...

If that's too much work, a display-only "clear" would be enough
(though the idea of that packet file growing and growing behind the
 scenes would make me uncomfortable).  In that case, the clear button
could simply add to the display filter "packet time > now" (if
filtering based on time is possible).

> Unfortunately, "Capture->Stop" currently doesn't, as I remember,
> work on Windows.

Doh. That's a problem.

> So, whilst that feature might be nice, it might involve some work to
> implement.  (My list of things-to-do is already more than full, and
> my free time limited, so I'm not going to be implementing either
> feature any time soon.)

Well, it's open source, right? If it bugs me enough, I'll work on it
myself and post a patch. ;)

Cheers, Eric