List:       ess-help
Subject:    Re: [ESS] Tips for preventing slowing down?
From:       Marc Schwartz via ESS-help <ess-help () r-project ! org>
Date:       2019-11-13 21:04:56

Hi,

To throw out one, potentially arcane possibility, in addition to Martin's c=
omment below.

Check your .emacs file for the following entry:

  '(global-linum-mode t)

This is to display line numbers in the buffer frame, in addition to the mod=
e line, if used.

With Emacs 26.x, this should not be used, rather you should use:

  '(global-display-line-numbers-mode t)

My recollection is that when I made the switch to Emacs 26 last year, I sti=
ll had the former entry in my .emacs file.

I had noted the progression of a slowdown with large buffers, both in terms=
 of general scrolling, as well as during the Sweave related processing of a=
 large .Rnw file.

The latter entry is part of Emacs 26.x, whereas the former goes back to cir=
ca Emacs 22/23, I believe. The position of the line numbers in the buffer f=
rame is also different now, than with the prior linum mode.

Through a lot of trial and error, I found this to be the etiology of my slo=
w scrolling behavior and I am back to a speedy Emacs, even with files of 10=
s of thousands of lines. There was some conflict between the older linum mo=
de and Emacs 26.x.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz