List:       ess-help
Subject:    [ESS] Interactive SAS mode hangs
From:       Erin Jonaitis <jonaitis () fstrf-wi ! org>
Date:       2015-08-31 20:37:44

Hi all,

I'm working on a Linux machine (not sure what distribution) using emacs \
23.1-28.el6.x86_64 and ESS version 15.03.

I'm used to working in SAS interactively in ESS (i.e. by sending M-x SAS and then \
executing code chunks one at a time). I'd been working on a much older version of \
ESS, but my system is in the process of being upgraded and I'm testing ESS on the new \
machine. Right now R seems to work fine, but when I try to execute (much) SAS code \
inside ESS, it crashes emacs badly and can only be killed via the command line. \
Sometimes the crash involves very strange cycling of the cursor image through various \
possible cursor images (an arrow, two balls, arrows specific to window resizing).

Questions: Any idea what could be the problem? What other information would you need \
to be able to help diagnose it?

Details of the crashing:
- Trying to define a new data step crashes.
- libname statements do not crash.
- Trying to read data from a set inside a successfully defined library causes a \
                crash.
- Using proc contents on such a dataset also crashes.
- Macro %put statements do not crash.

Sample code:

%put I read the first line; *this works -- prints to the log;
libname temp '/my/path/here'; *this works too -- gives me a "successfully defined" \
message;

data temp2; *causes a hard crash with weird cursor behavior;
    set temp.temp1;
run;

data temp3; *causes a hard crash;
    infile datalines dsd;
    input id name $;
    datalines;
    1,Fred
    2,Joni
    3,Cara
    4,Mick
;
run;

proc contents data=temp.temp1 order=varnum; *crashes but without the weird cursor \
stuff; run;

Erin Jonaitis  |  Biostatistician
Frontier Science & Technology Research Foundation
505 South Rosa Road, Suite 100  |  Madison, WI 53719
(608) 535-8300 x2062  |  jonaitis@fstrf-wi.org