List:       ess-help
Subject:    [ESS] explain debug() functionality in ESS 13.05?
From:       Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-31 21:18:57

What are you using this new functionality for?

On Debian Linux, I updated to the testing repository, and that brought in
the new ESS 13.05, and there's something I can't understand. I mean, it is
so unfamiliar I don't even know what to call it, or if I can benefit from
it.

Today I run a function in debug, I'm unable to keep the focus in the *R*
buffer.  Every time I hit Return, I see this new verbose output starting
with "debug"
and the focus gets shifted to the code buffer. So every single time I want
to step to the next line, I have to click in the *R* buffer and hit
return.  Generally, I like the focus to stay there because I often want to
check on the values of the variables, to see where this is going wrong.

Know what I mean? It looks like this in *R* buffer

Browse[2]> n
debug at /tmp/ESS-region/predictOMatic.R@1#26: if (is.vector(predtry)) {
    predtry <- as.matrix(predtry, ncol = 1, dimnames = list(NULL,
        c("fit")))
} else if (!is.matrix(predtry)) {
    stop("atomic, but not a vector or matrix. What are you?")
}
Browse[2]> n
debug at /tmp/ESS-region/predictOMatic.R@1#27: predtry <-
as.matrix(predtry, ncol = 1, dimnames = list(NULL,
    c("fit")))

What is the name for this setup and how do you benefit from using it?

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]