List:       ess-help
Subject:    [ESS] ess-5.13: ess-site.el symbol's definition void
From:       georgina.bermann () novartis ! com
Date:       2011-04-18 10:54:08

I am running XEmacs 21.4 under Windows NT (NVS operating system). The ess
version (very old) provided with the installation does not recognize Rnw
files.  I have downloaded 5.13 but ess-site.el fails.  The message from
the lisp compilation of the buffer is "Symbol's definition is void:
ess-uniq-list". I have actually tried with numerous versions between 5.3
and 5.13: with no solution to the problem.

The problem appears in the very long definition of ess-versions-created in
the ess-site file. For earlier version it is in the equivalent part where
all the ess-versions are defined.   I am not a lisp programmer, and do not
intend to become one.  My system setting which I am not free to change
appear to dislike the syntax.

In earlier versions I could simply comment out the offending portions
because I am not interested in the functionality to run programs, only the
editing. Now when I do the same the dependencies created apparently make
Rnw unrecognizable.  XEmacs won't even load the file.

How can I solve it? The use of ESS to edit for Rnw files (which is great)
is key for my work.

Many thanks for your help

Georgina

Best regards, Mit freundlichen Grüssen, Meilleures salutations,
Georgina Bermann PhD
Senior Expert Statistician
Novartis Pharma AG
CHBS, WSJ-158.5.49.1