List:       eros-arch
Subject:    Namespaces ?
From:       Norman Hardy norm () netcom ! com
Date:       2000-07-06 1:19:04

At 23:54 +0200 00/07/05, Vincent Legoll wrote:

>>Yes, but I would say "tell the system what data I want
>>the application to have". The application does not
>>learn its name!
>
>apps are given data through capabs at call (invocation) time, no ?
>they don't need to know names given to that data.

The vi editor in Unix indeed displays the file name that it used to
open the file, and that it may use to update the file. vi adapted to
a capability system would have its file opening code removed.
It could still edit files even if it never learned the name under which
the file capability was kept in the user's directory.
It would have no essential need to know the name
any more than the the sqrt routine needs to know the
spelling of "xz" in "sqrt(xz)".

>>some data or other authority. Some directories (namespaces)
>>might hold a capability to control the lights in the parking lot.
>>The directory is oblivious to this, the capability knows what it does.
>
>Yep, indeed I forgot to think about other capabilities than data ones,
>they should probably need to be named too.

It must be possible to name them. It is not necessary, however,
to name every capability.
Most capabilities in Keykos never make their way to any directory
but are merely links that connect parts of complex objects together.

Norman Hardy  <http://www.mediacity.com/~norm>