List:       eros-arch
Subject:    RFD: EROS + mozilla GUI
From:       Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge () cx47646-a ! phnx1 ! az ! home ! com
Date:       2000-06-26 23:39:40

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 09:21:12PM +0700, Constantine Plotnikov wrote:
> Hi!

Whoops, should've read this message before posting...I didn't realize
you were proposing use of Mozilla directly.  When I criticized mozilla
I was referring to their writing a bunch of custom widgets, on top of
GTK; they kept all of GTK's bloat, added custom skinning on top, ignored
GTK's theme support, and introduced a lot of bugs to boot.  They could
have used XUL regardless of this, and still kept the default widget
implementations provided by GTK.

> Mozilla GUI architecture has three layers.
>
> 1. XUL - XML+Javascript based language for describing GUI

XUL is too low-level IMO.  It can't be used to describe a UI in a
way that will render just as well on a PC or a PalmPilot.  But
it's a good point that it must be possible to have some client-
side code, so that not every interaction requires a round-trip to
the server.  Maybe Javascript is a good choice.  (And again, if
a Scheme-like language were used, then both appearance and behavior
could be described using the same language.)

> XPCOM may be replaced with capabilites in EROS.
>
> XPConnect will need to be rewrited to support capabilites
> instead of mozilla components.

These are part of Mozilla, why would you need to replace them?
EROS would just be generating XUL, right?  And you'd run Mozilla
somewhere else.

> BTW EROS license (GPL) and Mozilla one (MPL) do not look
> as compatible. This issue should be examined. EROS makes
> distinction petween application and application component
> as vauge as possible so GPL license application is somewhat
> difficult.

Again if you don't couple them too tightly, then who cares; surely
the license of the system used to generate the XUL is irrelevant?

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org