List:       eros-arch
Subject:    FORTH on devices
From:       Jonathan S. Shapiro jsshapiro () earthlink ! net
Date:       1998-05-04 16:06:19

Bill may also be thinking of the OpenBoot logic, much of which is
forth based.  Setting aside issues of security for a moment, OpenBoot
has always struck as a good idea for boot-time initialization and also
for bootstrap.  The use of an architecture neutral language (FORTH)
largely eliminates the need for umpteen initialization codes on a PROM
on the card.

>From a security standpoint, it raises interesting questions.  My
*guess* is that it is possible to build a sandboxing FORTH
interpreter, but that this would require some care.

I suspect that very few OS's are going to rely on OpenBoot code past
the boot stage.  There are simply too many interactions between
scheduling a device and handling its interrupts.

shap