List:       eros-arch
Subject:    Disk formatting and space banks
From:       Jonathan Shapiro shap () cobra ! cis ! upenn ! edu
Date:       1995-09-06 15:10:15

This is a question for the KeyKOS folken:

So I have a new disk, and the format utility has just formatted it, in
the process creating new valid ranges.  Presumably, the formatter also
has sufficient authority to obtain or fabricate range keys for the new
ranges.

The question is: what does it do with those range keys?  Does it hand
them directly to the prime space bank (this would make sense to me)?

The reason I ask is that Norm mentioned at one time the possibility of
having segregated space banks.  Once there are multiple space banks,
we need a way to say who should be handed what range keys.  It's not
an imminent problem, but no reason to design for obsolescence!

Ideas?

Jonathan