List:       eros-arch
Subject:    R: [EROS-Arch] Error logging
From:       "Valerio Bellizzomi" <devbox () selnet ! org>
Date:       2001-09-26 20:59:34

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan S. Shapiro <shap@eros-os.org>
To: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>; Bill Frantz <frantz@pwpconsult.com>
Cc: <eros-arch@mail.eros-os.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: [EROS-Arch] Error logging

> > > I think it will help people gain confidence that the system is working
> as
> > > it is supposed to be working.
> >
> > You still have to define what happens when it fills, and I say kill it
> > or block it (configurably)...
>
> Blocking here is very problematic. For example, the audit entry saying "a
> foobar namex 0x1509 just got created" should be issued by the constructor,
> not the object, and we definitely don't want the constructor to block, nor
> should constructions needed for recovery programs block.
>
> This is a much deeper design problem than we have had an adequate
> opportunity to explore. I think the audit log must not block, but must be
> "deep" enough not to overflow easily, much as UNIX error logs work.

Log rotation looks just fine for preserving the log entries and maximizing
the uptime.

Another issue is Log Redundancy. I remember some note I've read about OSF/1
which can maintain up to 3 separate copies of the same log (the number of
copies is configurable), so I believe that it should be feasible too, and it
provides the option for a configurable security/performance trade-off.

val