List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] new windows/notifications displaying on top of xscreensaver
From:       Carsten Haitzler <raster () rasterman ! com>
Date:       2018-08-06 4:50:38

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 08:38:53 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_e17@merlins.org> said:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 12:42:23PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> > > I can't because xscreensaver stops the mouse cursor from moving away
> > > from the unlock box.
> > > So no one can interact with them, but they can see my private IM and
> > > notification messages.
> >
> > then i'm not sure. e is compositing so the screensaver window will be
> > composited but if these notifications are actual windows placed on to the
> > this window by the apps (i know chromium does its own popups itself with
> > its own windows), thus composited on top, or if they are really below and e
> > is just mistakenly setting the evas objects on top, i don't know unless you
> > can click on them. that would tell me what is going on.
> >
> > i haven't used xscreensaver for well over a decade and tbh it's untested
> > with e as there are gotchas with screensaver windows and they conflict with
> > e's own lock screen handling etc. so tbh my advice is "don't use it" as it
> > conflicts. i could explain the tricky bits of screensaver windows but it's
> > x11 lower level fun stuff and you'll know why there is a conflict when you
> > know that compositors use the screensaver overlay window as well as
> > xscreensaver (necessary to force compositor content on top, but this begins
> > to break apart when you have external old-school screensavers like
> > xscreensaver)).
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I also saw this week, once, that the enlightenment shelf ended up displaying
> on top of the screensaver (that usually doesn't happen). No idea what
> happened for it to move to the foreground while I was away.
>
> So basically at this point you'd say that xscreensaver is definitely broken?

no - just incompatible with enlightenment. we have no code to support external
screensaver windows - no code to specially stack or handle them. e doesn't
support them. it doesn't even have its own screensavers - it's just blanking to
black with a theme defined possible transition to black (e.g. fade).

i never really saw the point of fancy screen savers... save power - turn the
screen off. you aren't there to look at it (that's the point of the timeout) so
there is no joy created there for the user... thus i never even considered
writing any support for screensavers and e has it's own locking mechanism
anyway so doesn't need xscreenssver to do that. :)

Carsten Haitzler - raster@rasterman.com