List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] Losing input focus on fullscreen games
From:       Dave <dave () flex ! com ! au>
Date:       2012-10-28 11:16:25

 In the year 2012, of the month of October, on the 28th day, P Purkayastha wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 01:31 PM, Dave wrote:
> >   In the year 2012, of the month of October, on the 27th day, P Purkayastha wrote:
> >> What version of e are you using? There were problems with fullscreen
> >> windows several months ago.
> >
> >   Last updated and compiled 4 or 5 days ago.  Version 78399, according to an
> > svn status check on my downloaded source.
> >
> >   dave.k
>
> I am on r78468, and I tried two games - World of Goo, and Braid. Key
> events are working in both the games. Also key events are working in
> other fullscreen applications like flash, okular, openoffice, mplayer2, etc.

 I don't have World of Goo and Braid.  I downloaded and installed the demo
version of World of Goo, and it worked fine in fullscreen.

 I've tried starting mplayer in fullscreen (mplayer -fs), and it works fine.

 Yet Super Meat Boy and Bit.Trip Runner do not capture keyboard input, if
they start in fullscreen.  The keyboard input goes to the terminal which
starts the game.

 Looks like I've figured out the issue.  It was related to the New Window
Focus option.  I had it set to "Only dialogs with focused parent".  As soon
as I set it to "All windows", fullscreen focus started working on those
problematic programs.

 The issus is undoubtedly related to the fact that the affected games don't
use a mouse, and therefore focus wasn't being shifted to the game through
mouse movement.  That could also explain why World of Goo worked, since it
uses a mouse for control.  Also explains why shifting from window to
fullscreen works, since the window would initially capture focus when the
mouse moves over it.

 I wonder if E17 could do with an option to automatically shift focus to
fullscreen programs.  You'd hope that a fullscreen program should capture
keyboard events, regardless of any New Window Focus setting.

 dave.k