List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] The History of the Enlightenment Project
From:       Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster () rasterman ! com>
Date:       2009-08-23 3:09:24

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:21:25 -0300 Andres Blanc <andresblanc@gmail.com> said:

gee. history of e. i guess i'd be the best to ask as i started it all. :)

> Hello everybody, I know I promised a new version of the enlightenment website
> for August 1st but I really suck at making estimates for things I work on my
> spare time.
>
> Anyway, right now I'm in the process of converting my spanglish-and-profanity
> ridden content drafts for the "brochure pages" into their plain english, html
> versions.

bueno! :)

> The first of them is the about page, which isn't finished but contains what
> was the hardest piece of content I written for the project. It required
> tracking down and reading 11 year old tarballs and mailing list messages
> along with dozens of pages stored in archive.org

awesome! you found 11 year old tarballs of e? fantastic. maybe we should keep
them on e.org too to make sure they dont vanish? :)

> The History of the Enlightenment Project was meant to outline the motivations
> behind the technology in the project from DR0.14 to this day. I wanted to
> make it as entertaining and factually as possible without extending it too
> much. I also avoided mentioning names to prevent hurting sensibilities.
>
> Anyway, take a look at http://enlightenment.org/dev/about.html and let me
> know what you think. Ignore the design since its incomplete and I won't touch
> it until all the content is in its html form.

well i can also tell you prior to 0.14. im sure i've written this all before,
somewhere, but here goes.

how did e start? scratching an itch. me (raster) thought wm's/gui's just
too boring. why can i play a game with bambo bordering on dialogs, sprites
flying around smoothly and my workstation at university - easily 10-20x more
powerful than the cheap amiga i hacked on at home could at best manage grey,
pink and blue beveled boxes? you desktop does not just have to be functional -
it has to feel good, look good and work well to make you productive. of course
there are people who don't care. these possibly dont use x - they live in text
consoles or at best run x with fullscreen xterminals. these people are not
relevant for this discussion. we are talking of the vast majority of people.
they like something visually pleasing to work in. that's what i wanted to, and
so mu work started. this was in 1996. i was hacking around on fvwm to make it
look better, but as i worked on it i came to realise, that this wasn't going to
pan out, as its base wasn't designed for this.

thus i began a new wm codebase from scratch. towards the end of 1996. 1997
around march it cam out as DR0.1. it managed windows, had graphics for
rendering etc. over time the rendering code was split out into imlib (thaqt
became imlib1.0), e eventually gained thees (tarballs of config files and
images), and this code marched on until 0.13 - the last release in this line
of code. the codebase was creaking at the edges and had some bad turns in it,
so a new codebase gave birth to 0.14. this moved on until 0.16. the most recent
major release series of enlightenment. 0.17 is still be4ing worked on (even if
usable).

:)