List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] Window Remember settings on e17 : Remember using ????
From:       "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp () ttlc ! net>
Date:       2009-08-11 23:40:28

It would appear that on Aug 6, Jochen did say:

> Hi Joe,
>
> go to enlightenment settings -> windows -> windows remembers and
> you see a list of all your remembered windows. Another place to look
> would maybe be settings -> apps -> startup apps and see if you don't
> have anything in there.

Thanks Jochen;

Now I feel dumb... Still I use the gui at "settings -> Settings Panel"
{on my e17} so rarely that it's not to surprising that I forgot that
one of the choices under windows was labeled "windows remembers".
And it was the key to solving my original problem ksnapshot...

The konsole itself however was my bad. It seems the remember settings
for the medosumc bash script that I start from my ~/.xinitrc had an
undesired remember setting of "start program on login" which of course
didn't know how to start a second copy of my script But merely fired
up a generic konsole session. While the rest of the remember info
separately recognized the "medosumc" konsole session started from the
~/.xinitrc and put it where it belonged leading me to believe the
remember setting was correct.

I never did put anything in the gui "startup apps" screen. As a startx
user, I use the ~/.xinitrc file to do that... But thank you for that
suggestion as well. It wouldn't have occurred to me, and it certainly
could cause similar behavior at login...

That windows remembers was both the cure for the ksnapshot issue, and a
real nuisance however... It displayed about 4 entries for ksnapshot. So
now that I have a better idea of how to use some of the "remember using"
selection I figured I'd delete all of them and then start a new
remember on it. So I selected one of them and clicked on the delete
remembers button. Which also decided to delete about four other
remembers settings, and caused remembering new ones to fail.
regardless of restart, or a logout/login sequence. I had to go all the
way to reboot before the remember window could again add anything to
the "windows remember5s" list... But once I rebooted I was able to
recreate my desired start-up environment. And it now seems stable.

But I'd still like to know which files to manually back up so that I can
restore the current remember settings manually from a virtual console
when e17n is NOT running. It would be much easier than fighting with
the gui. I suppose I could just backup the entire ~/.e tree... But
that seems like overkill to me.