List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] E17 and Compiz
From:       Daniel Kasak <dan () entropy ! homelinux ! org>
Date:       2006-10-26 1:45:21

kilamanjaro wrote:

> HI, Does anyone happen to know if E17 and Compiz (a compositing
> manager for X-windows) can be run together? Many thanks for any
> facts, theories, and speculations!
>
> Kyle

Here's my theory ... and this is as a user, so take with a large grain
of salt.

What we really need is for someone to revive glxcompmgr ( glx
compositing manager, which used to run on XGL ), or maybe rip compiz's
AIGLX compositing manager into a stand-alone compositing manager. The
old trusty xcompmgr only gets accelerated for the lucky few ( nvidia
owners and people with r100 / r200 cards ). But porting compiz's AIGLX
compositing thingy would bring support for just about all cards with
open-source drivers ( or at least ones that have NPOT texture support ).
I was astonished to see how compiz on AIGLX ran on our shitty 8MB
shared-memory integrated Intel cards at work :)

Anyway, that's my take on compositing. I'm by no means an expert.

Whenever this question comes up, the consensus is that:

a) Releasing E17 takes priority to adding compositing support
b) Compositing is not ready for prime-time yet ( ie buggy and not
accelerated )

I personally disagree with point b) - particularly with the advent of
AIGLX compositing, but then as I've pointed out - I'm no expert on this,
and I fully respect the E developers' choice when they say they're not
interested in it at this moment.

So basically none of the regular developers seem to be doing any work on
it, but that's not stopping others from having a go.