List:       enlightenment-users
Subject:    Re: [e-users] Help on and off
From:       Steve Arnold <sarnold () earthling ! net>
Date:       2001-11-26 20:04:20

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 11:56, Fotis Paraskevopoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to the list,
> I have installed englightenment, and it
> all seem to go fine. I log in via a graphical interface,
> I have set the default for my user to exec /path to englightenment
> bin/englightenment.
> When I put my user name and password the screen goes black and then returns
> to the
> graphical login, if I try again it freezes.  If i choose gnome for example
> in the
> graphical interface, it logs in normaly.
>
> I am using redhat 7.0 with the 2.4 kernel.

I guess I don't understand what you did to configure the X login for E;
did you an Enlightenment script to the Gdm sessions dir?  Are you using
Gdm, Xdm, or Kdm?  RedHat should default to Gdm (depending on your
install options).  Here's what I did to add E to my Gdm login screen:

On a recent RedHat (7.x) and probably also Mandrake, go to the
/etc/X11/gdm/sessions directory and add a script like the others called
"Enlightenment" (or whatever you want to see on the gdm menu).  Put the
line "exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession enlightenment" in it.  Then edit the
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession script and add the following:

case $1 in
    failsafe)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"
       ;;
    enlightenment)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "enlightenment"
       ;;
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I added the above three lines.*
    gnome)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "gnome-session"
       ;;

The correct defaults were already set for esound, so I added the
following to the top of the above Xsession script:

xsetroot -solid '#5477A0'
esdctl resume, on
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I added the above line.*
#xscreensaver-command -exit
#xscreensaver &

Now Enlightenment starts with sound again.  I have an sblive value, with
the default OSS/free sound module configuration.

HTH, Steve