List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    A useful feature for themes...
From:       Valdis.Kletnieks () vt ! edu
Date:       1999-07-29 21:41:22

OK.. First off, I'd *really* like to make clear that shiny-metal is
(at least in my opinion) a pretty slick theme.  But there's a few *minor*
tweaks I'd like to see... so....

The problem is that although I *could* copy all the pieces into my
home directory and hack in my changes, this has a problem.

The next time the theme gets updated, I get to manually re-copy and re-hack
everything.

A Really Cool Feature would be "theme deltas", where I could say the following:

"Use as a basis the XYZ theme (and find it the usual way), but after loading
it, apply these *differences* to it".  ShinyMetal is some 2.6M in size.
borders.cfg alone is 1237 lines - so if I make a *one line* change, then
every time the theme is updated, I have to either re-do the change or
lose whatever new stuff is in the update (which can cause total failure).

Might be nicer if after reading in ShinyMetal, it was able to read in
a ShinyMetal.override which would allow the user to add/replace/delete
specific stanzas.  Unfortuantely, most of the Config_Foobar routines
seem to assume they will be called exactly once - for instance, Config_Extras()
starts off with a loop to FreeIconbox() the world...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer