List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] [e-users] E polish + flat
From:       Carsten Haitzler <raster () rasterman ! com>
Date:       2021-03-31 18:08:28

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 12:39:21 -0300 Thiago Maciel <maciel@gmail.com> said:

> Am Di., 30. März 2021 um 16:51 Uhr schrieb Carsten Haitzler <
> raster@rasterman.com>:
>
> > In case people haven't tried but want an idea of what things look like:
> >
> > http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-60637a8f7ec119.02647143.png
> >

> It's looking great, Carsten!
> Good to see all this activity in git.
> Keep the good work! :)
>
> Mind if I report a bunch of small things?!

sure :)

> >   If you haven't tried e for a while. bluez5 support is there and it's very
> > polished. the popup does almost everything you need fro pairing, unpairing,
> > forcing a connect. setting a device to always connect, to set a bt device
> > to a
> > lock/unlock device (if bt device can be pinged, e is unlocked, if it cant
> > be
> > pinged again for a little while, e auto-locks itself - handy to pair your
> > phone
> > and set it as an unlock device - walk away from your pc and it just locks).
> > Bluez5 will also show battery status of bt devices that advertise this
> > (like
> > wireless bt kbds/mice).
> >

> I'm seeing just the signal strength and the distrust device icons. For the
> other buttons,

that's what bluez reports... so... not much to be done. most devices report
zero.no signal from my experience.

> e.g., unpair, disconnect, I see grey buttons and had to wait for the popup
> to see what it does. But, yeah, it is
> working great.

yeah. i crammed a whole lot of actions into a small space. you learn the icons
quickly enough and the tooltip is there to de-mystify it :)

> The battery module now has a useful full details popup for all your
> > batteries
> > too thanks to netstar.
> >

> Nice!
> Btw., I know it is just fluff, but it always bugged me that bluez5, mixer,
> backlight close when clicking outside
> the window, but battery and calendar don't.
> It feels inconsistent, I don't know.

modules choose this for the popup - they did make different choices. :) i
really dont know which should be default. i certainly want the clock calendar
to stay up as i sometimes pop it up and refer to it... :)

> > efm rename now selects the file minus the extension for more useful
> > renames.
> >

> -I have an issue with the renames. In case I have a file with multiple dots
> in the name, e.g.,
> there.is.a.file.with.lots.of.dots.txt, when pressing F2, it selects up to
> the first dot, not the last.

aaah this is a "you can't win" thing. what about file.tar.gz ? :) or
file.svg.gz ... these exist and are common enough. :) which do you pick?

> -Also, when I'm in a folder far from / such that the path is big,
> e.g. "/ home / user / blah1 / blah2 / folder with a big name / ",
> and I shrink the efm window to the minimum width, the path overlaps with
> the heart and < icons.

aaaah missing a clip :) fixed.

> Another thing I'm getting with E is the following: when I position a second
> monitor on the left of my primary one (I'm using a notebook),
> and I reboot with the DP/HDMI cable plugged in, my shelves jump to the
> second monitor and I need to unplug and plug the cable so they
> jump back to the primary display.

the priority slider in the screen setup determines the screen order like 0, 1,
2, 3 etc. with the highest priority being 0, and then lower priority values
after that. they idea is you assign priorities in  way where you get the
behaviour you want. if you want your primary screen (Screen 0) to migrate to
the external monitor when it plugs in, then have the external mon priority 80
and internal priority 50 (for example). if you want the external to just extend
(be a lower priority screen) and things not migrate, then have the internal be
50, and external be 20, for example. you can assign different priorities to
different monitors you might plug in (projectors or other things) to have
different behavior. if you have 3 or 4 or more screens you can assign priorities
in a way to get just about any kind of migration or "stay where you are"
behavior that you like. try it out.

if all monitors are the same priority, then the sort from left to right in x
position... so left most screen is screen 0, then the one right of that is
screen 1, the next to the right is screen 2 etc.

that's what you're seeing - since it's on the left it takes over as screen 0
and all your content moves over to it... :)