List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] 1.22 schedule proposal - updated
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2019-02-19 10:53:29

On 19/02/2019 18:52, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 18.02.19 07:07, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> > Morning Simon,
> >
> > What I am thinking is the master branch would have the weekly releases for \
> > developers and stable releases would be  once a month.
>
> No, sorry. I don't think that makes sense. We don't need a tarball
> packaged from git without any extra work. People who want bleeding edge
> stay on git. If we would provide snapshots people would expect some
> extra testing on them which would simply not happen.
>
> > What do you think about this?
>
> I think we should stick with what we talked about and not mix in other
> things every day.
>
> 1) Try a 5 months release schedule to see if that works better and lifts
> some pressure form the 3 months cycle.
>
> 2) For stable updates we will have a cron job running that checks every
> Monday if there are new patches in the stable branches compared to the
> last stable update. If there are we trigger the process to do a new release.

Checking every Monday is fine but my original point was potentially
having point releases every week won't be that useful because as
packagers we are likely not going to want to put through an update once
a week.

In my opinion something like this would work better

Check Every Monday:
If a Serious / Critical / showstopper bug has been fixed -> Release
If more then X fixes haven't been released yet -> Release (Lets call X
10 for now)
If the oldest fix has been waiting 4 or more weeks -> Release

Otherwise reassess the following week. This way Important fixes get out
quickly but people don't start ignoring releases because the last 3
releases have just had one minor fix for something they don't care
about. If point releases were just weekly if we have a commit over a 5
month release cycle we could easily get between 10-20 point releases
which in my opinion is too much.

Cheers

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30