List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] Cursor placement on location of right click?
From:       Tom Hacohen <tom () osg ! samsung ! com>
Date:       2015-05-28 9:53:49

On 28/05/15 09:56, SHILPA ONKAR SINGH wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think cursor should be placed on location of right click in entry and below is \
> the use case:
> Dynamic menu item addition based on location of right click, similar use case as \
> longpressed case. because context menu is shown  in longpress case in non desktop \
> entry and on right click in case of desktop entry. based on cursor placement we can \
> get the current word on which cursor is pointing to and accordingly update the \
> menu.
> Uniformity in behavior wrt longpress and right click, longpress case cursor moves \
> to longpress location but right click it does not. Longpress ->Launch ctx menu \
> ->Non desktop entry->Dynamic menu addition based on text content(use case)->Places \
> cursor on location Right click->Launch ctx menu->Desktop entry->Dynamic menu \
> addition based on text content(use case)->Do not place cursor on location, why?
> We place cursor on mouse down of entry but why are we specifically not placing it \
> when right click is done?
> Please let me know, What is your opinion about the correct behavior?
>
> Already discussed with Tom and he said that many people think the cursor should not \
> be placed? and build a strong use case for the same? Is the above use case strong \
> enough? (polling)

I told you, I'm not sure. Polls are a bad idea regardless, let's build a
conclusive case either way.

 From the implementation point of view, moving the cursor is more
limiting and more complex (you need to handle selection among other
things). What we are doing now is simple.

 From the user interaction point of view: I'm not sure. Sometimes it's
annoying to have to open the context menu while pointing at the already
there cursor position, but also moving the cursor and then opening it
can also be annoying.

The context thing you mentioned is not relevant, as that can be
implemented in either way regardless.

I'm not again, and not for. If I had to choose, I would have said to
keep it as it is, but I don't have a strong opinion.

--
Tom.