List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] R:  [Announce] Edje_Player
From:       Andreas Volz <lists () brachttal ! net>
Date:       2008-09-27 11:01:52

Am Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:09:12 +0200 (CEST) schrieb Dave Andreoli:

> ----- "Andreas Volz" <lists@brachttal.net> ha scritto:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wrote a little tool called 'Edje_Player'. The main reason was that
> > needed a light weight tool to preview my hand written Edje file. See
> > here how to use it:
> >
> > > ./edje_player --help
> > Usage: edje_player [OPTION...]
> >   -g, --group=STRING      The Edje group to display.
> >   -e, --engine=STRING     The Evas engine type.
> >   -b, --borderless        Display window without border.
> >   -s, --sticky            Display window sticky.
> >   -p, --shaped            Display window shaped.
> >   -a, --alpha             Display window with alpha channel (needs
> >                           composite support!).
> >   -l, --list-engines      List all available engines.
> >   -r, --list-groups       List all available groups in the Edje
> > file. -v, --version           show version
> >
> > Help options:
> >   -?, --help              Show this help message
> >   --usage                 Display brief usage message
> >
> > The Edje_Editor is great but not perfect for preview. The
> > Edje_Viewer is broken for some unknown reasons.
>
> Did you tryed edje_editor -t  ?
> I didn't look deeper at edje_player but seems to do the same thing.
> I think we need to share some code in some way... what about make
> edje_editor -t works like edje_player? or maybe include your
> app in the editor source tree (installing a second binary)? at
> lest you don't have to manage all the autotool stuff ;)

I tried edje_editor -t and it works good. But it's not possible to list
the groups by parameter.

I would prefer an own binary for edje_player. One usage of edje_player
should be a development tool. But edje_editor could do that also.

The other usage of edje_player is to be something like a "FlashPlayer".
Users should write complete apps or games in edje only. I know Edje
isn't (yet) optimized to do this sort of application. But as you could
see in the calculator[1] example it's possible with Edje only.

regards
Andreas

[1] http://www.gurumeditation.it/blog/enlightenment/calculator/