List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] Viewport feature removed from evas
From:       "jose_ogp () juno ! com" <jose_ogp () juno ! com>
Date:       2007-02-28 4:59:39

> Hi,
>
> Recently (as of 0.9.9.036 I think), evas no longer has the
> ability to have a viewport size that differs from the output
> size.  This was a feature we (Freevo) relied on -- what was
> the motivation for removing this feature?  Is there any
> alternative method to achieve equivalent functionality in evas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason.

	Yes, this was removed by Carsten then in a surprise stealth
move. I'm sure he'll tell you why and such, but I'll give you my
own views on this 'viewport' matter.

	While this is a feature that might be useful for some, it's
also confusing for others, and largely unused by most.

	Internally, what this basically did was to scale certain
object properties by suitable scaling factors.. and it was always
unclear just what to do with certain properties that didn't have a
canonical description in terms of x,y components - eg. font size.
Evas' text handling is somewhat basic, and viewport scaling was never
really adequately addressed in such.
	There are others besides text -- eg. things like fill angles
(in grads, and soon in images), or image borders -- where it's not
completely clear just what the semantics ought to be.

	Consider also the logical extension of this feature, namely
allow not only viewport 'scaling', but other kinds of transforms..
rotations, skewing, projections. It's possible to do this as well,
and one might also consider things like sub-canvases which themselves
can be transformed rel to the parent canvas...

	These kinds of things really require further thought, in
order to have a consistent and/or useful semantics for all object
properties.

	In any case, in lieu of viewport scaling, I'd suggest that
you provide scalable interfaces to whatever evas object properties
you want to use.
	This is similar to what edje does, except that you'd want
to use the canvas size as your reference -- eg. you would define an
image object's size, or fill size, as fractions of the given canvas
size.. or if not define, then at least multiply by... etc.

   jose.