List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] Patch for e_modules to add support to gettext with
From:       Michael Jennings <e-devel () kainx ! org>
Date:       2007-02-26 19:28:49

On Wednesday, 14 February 2007, at 19:45:11 (+0100),
Kim Woelders wrote:

> Yeah, I'm a sneaky bastard. I even sent a stealth message to the
> e-devel list about it to make sure nobody noticed:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=37464062
> my devious plan failed and somebody who was obviously impersonating
> you responded:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=37464063

Re-reading that, now I remember.  And remembering, now I revisit my
previous suggestion:  Why not just check config.rpath in and be done
with this whole mess?

And raster deserves a kick in the teeth for causing the mess by
removing it in the first place.

Bad raster.  No beer.

> We are already far from basic unix utils + m4 as autotools require
> perl.  Adding cvs is just another drop in the ocean.

CVS, in my opinion, is inherently non-local.  "Local CVS" is called
RCS.  But I can think of worse ways to distribute and extract
versioned sources.

That said, the fact that they HAVE to do such a thing speaks to the
complete and utter fiasco that is gettext.

> I don't think this is true, please correct me if I'm
> wrong. autopoint will copy in ABOUT-NLS which contains information
> about the gettext package, including licensensing, but it does not
> sneak in anything or otherwise impose licensing that isn't already
> implied by using gettext in the first place.

It does some sneaky stuff, but I seriously doubt it would have any
legal validity given its clear and blatant sneakitude.

> Downgrading say automake-1.10 to automake-1.9.6 is in my opinion not
> an option as non-e packages may require 1.10.
>
> Or is the message that if I'm too stupid to figure it all out by
> myself I should go play elsewhere?  But I don't. I want E. I goto
> get-e, edevelop, #e, the mailing lists where you will waste your
> time giving me bad advice wasting my time.

"Use automake 1.9.6" is not bad advice.  It may not be convenient
advice, but it's not bad advice either.  In any event, many distros
already have ways of having multiple versions of the tools installed
at once due to the exceedingly long history of this kind of nonsense
from the autoFUCK Powers That Be.

Michael

 "I now cry streams of blood because I had to take my stand.  I crush
  my eyes beneath my heel as my heart pulses in my hand."
                                                         -- "Forsaken"