List:       enlightenment-devel
Subject:    Re: [E-devel] Running E 0.16.5 with Gnome 1.4/2.0...
From:       Lyle Kempler <term () twistedpath ! org>
Date:       2002-05-24 17:25:53

* Mark R. Bowyer (Moredhel@Earthling.net) wrote:
> Yes, OK, I *know*.  No *really*, I *know*.... But....
>
> Of late with Gnome 1.4, and with the Sun Gnome 2.0 EA build I have,
> Gnome is getting all Nazi about the way E 0.16 manages multiple heads.
> Not Xinerama, but actual separate multiple heads - i.e. it forks a new
> process for each screen.  So I get 3 enlightenment processes going when
> I start.  but not for long.
>
> As best as I can figure out, Gnome decides that There Will Be Only One,
> and kills the 2 new forks within about 10 seconds of them being spun
> off.
>
> Now, is this because E 0.16 follows the old Gnome WM stuff and not the
> new freedesktop stuff?  Is this fixable, from either side?  Does anyone
> care to patch 0.16 with all the 0.17 effort going on?
>
> Only with 0.17 still so far off, and E not being usable with Gnome on
> multiple heads any more (with gnome-session in charge anyway) you could
> be scaring a lot of users over to sawfish or worse - Metacity.  Which
> would be a shame.
>
> The workaround appears to be to run Enlightenment with the gnome panel
> on top, and not use gnome-session at all, which gives you mostly the
> same features as you get with gnome-session starting E.  But that's a
> hack.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, having not tried Gnome 2.x with multiple heads (or much else with
multiple heads), all I can tell you is that you're probably right about
E16 not getting along with it.

As far as freedesktop support, it's non-trivial to fix, at least
according to discussions with raster.

However:

If anyone wants to make strides in the E16 codebase towards that, they
are absolutely welcome to send those patches to me, and I will get them
in (though obviously I won't be able to test setups like the one you
just described :). I'm interested in an E16.6 release, but there has to
be enough changes to warrant it.

So if anyone wants to make a change to E16 but you haven't been sure
it'd be worth it, it is. The codebase is dormant, not necessarily dead.
What's true is that the current E developers aren't spending time on it
anymore, because they're either really busy or working on E17. But that
doesn't mean we don't accept community contributions.

Anyway, so there's my re-issuing the challenge to anyone interested in
another E16-based release. :)

term