List:       emerging-sigs
Subject:    [Emerging-Sigs] proxy
From:       David.R.Wharton () regions ! com (David ! R ! Wharton () regions ! com)
Date:       2009-05-19 14:32:53

While not perfect, you could flag on an absoluteURI in a HTTP request:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"ET POLICY Proxy
Usage Detected"; flow:established,to_server; uricontent:"http"; nocase;
pcre:"/^(OPTIONS|GET|HEAD|POST|PUT|DELETE|TRACE|CONNECT)\shttps?://.*\sHTTP/1\.[01]\x0D\x0A/i";
classtype:policy-violation; sid:xxxxxx; rev:1;)

-David Wharton

James Pleger <jpleger at gmail.com>
Sent by: emerging-sigs-bounces at emergingthreats.net
05/18/2009 06:46 PM

James Pleger <jpleger at gmail.com>
cc
Emerging-sigs at emergingthreats.net
Subject
Re: [Emerging-Sigs] proxy

I also forgot to add that the signatures that are in the ET rulesets are
mostly for detecting outbound proxy connections from your network to an
external box which could indicate that a client on your host is doing
naughty things.

Regards,

James Pleger
e: jpleger at gmail.com