List:       emerging-sigs
Subject:    [Emerging-Sigs] Emerging-sigs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 28
From:       jim.mcquaid () gmail ! com (Jim McQuaid)
Date:       2008-02-22 0:52:52

I appreciate the excellent suggestions James and Matt.  A while back I
had set BH DNS to redirect to a local IP (which I had an IP Tables
drop and log rule for), but obviously Smoothwall didn't give me the
domain information.  I haven't run LaBrea on Smoothwall v 3.0 yet, but
that had crossed my mind as well.

I do have Snort Inline running in between the clients and Smoothwall,
so I can "run snort with the IP of your listener defined as an
external_net".  This is a *terrific* idea!  Of the 4 Snort instances I
have, the least shows up on the inside, and I can capture the
offending packets and see everything that is going on.  I'm going to
set this up right now  :)

Jim McQuaid

--
James McQuaid