List:       elinks-users
Subject:    [elinks-users] external editor + tor/privoxy
From:       Neon Absentius <absent () sdf ! lonestar ! org>
Date:       2004-12-26 18:57:29

Hello

I am using (e)links for sometime now and I am really happy with
it. Recently I updated my Debian distribution to testing and I was
really impressed with all these new features. Way cool!

I have two questions.

1) The first one is about the external editor, the one that starts
   with the command ^T. I have set the $EDITOR variable to emacsclient
   and according to the man page elinks should respect that. However
   every time I hit ^T I am at VI. Is this my problem (I mean my
   configuration's problem) or elinks? Any suggestions?

2) How can I set elinks to work with a proxy/annonymizer? I am
   interested in the Tor/privoxy combination. According to their
   webpage to make links aware of the proxy you have to set the
   variable "http_proxy" to 127.0.0.1:8118. I tried it with links
   and it worked. I was not able to do it with elinks thoough.
   Any ideas?

I also have a suggestion/request of a feature: its about the MIME
support, it would be nice if there was one more option on the dialog
box, the option to specify *on the fly* which application one wants to
open the file. Now you have to download the file first and then leave
elinks to get to a command line to open the file. Not *very*
inconvenient but bothersome nevertheless. This, for example, would be
very useflull for me with MSword documents; I usually open them with
antiword, but since I view documents with several languages and
encodings I cannot set the command in advance which encoding antiword
should use. I have to decide on a per file basis.

Thank you for your time.