List:       elinks-users
Subject:    [elinks-users] [ANNOUNCE] elinks-0.5pre8 (Skyrider)
From:       Petr Baudis <pasky () ucw ! cz>
Date:       2003-10-31 21:12:15

  Hello,

  this is 0.5pre8 announce, with quite a some lag as usual. Cool stuff
inside. Probably no major user experience change, relatively minor
changes outside. However, massive actual cleaning up and mainly big
structural changes and generalization of some modules of ELinks (options
or osdep or SSL comes on mind). And, after all, big modularization step
- the division to modules is now not only in directories, but also
  logic, by introduction of struct module, distribution of options
registration and so on. Other than that, big loads of bugfixes
especially regarding the fast-moving rendering and terminal changes
(colors stuff) and some of the translations met completeness.

  What would be quite helpful now? To get OS/2 people - please have a
look at this release, whether it works under OS/2 at all. Also, some
people using the windows port would be welcome, AND the BeOS people.
Please stand up. I'm considering discontinuing the ports which are
unmaintained (all of them now) and noone uses them (and tests them that
they still more-or-less work) sometime during the 0.6 line (0.5.0 is
scheduled at Christmas, as is the good tradition).

  This is not stable. It should crash to you, if it will, though, please
tell us so that we can go and frown at the code so long that it will
start to fear and reorder itself into a stabilized chunk. However, there
is a lot of various minor problems and weird things and strange
behaviours and so on. A lot of them is in Bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/ - nameserver should get it right
finally!), but some didn't arrive there yet --- if you will encounter
any new one, please file a bug.

  Translators, please go and poke at the language files. Try to update
them.  Translation updates are encouraged and patches welcomed, as well
as new translations. Since the amount of messages needing to be
translated is huge, you do not need to do it all at once, I will accept
gradual patches updating just smaller portions of the translations as
well. And if you will work on it hard enough, you will receive CVS write
access ;-) (FYI: fabio, witekfl and vinnui did).

  Actually, few of the translations are already quite up-to-date, or
almost there. Submit translation update and get CVS write access in
return! ;-)

  Note that I have plenty of stuff queued. Well not so many, but there's
something. Off my head I know of some stuff from Radim Kolar (deflate
decode patch which is still sitting in my refactoring facility and some
interesting bug report) and few other stuff. It's certainly more, and I
hope I didn't miss anything, but if I didn't mention you right now,
resubmitting won't do any harm :-).

  So, the main changes in elinks-0.5pre8 are:

  * Mimetypes-related crash upon startup when opening local files
(somewhere) was fixed
  * Fixed problems with ./configure --with-openssl=<somewhere> and
associated ssl configuration problems
  * Fixed default value of terminal..underline, now it's by default off;
fixes white-on-white texts on linux console etc
  * HTTP interoperability fixes (ie. www.gazeta.pl)
  * FreeBSD compilation fixes (stupid libtool)
  * Fixed redirect to mailto crash
  * Mouse is fully usable when ELinks is suspended (or in OS Shell)
  * Bugzilla font tags are now handled correctly
  * Fixed broken history menu
  * Fixed problems with FTP proxying over HTTP
  * Shell-unsafe chars substitution when passing them to the MIME
handlers was fixed to be actually useful

  * Textarea's wrap=virtual by default, implemented off|none handling
  * --enable-small configure option - with help of doc/small.txt it can
bring ELinks binary to 200kb or less binary - cute!
  * The real modularization had begun - the interface unification,
generic modules stuff etc. DSO modules aren't expected to happen in 0.5
though, if that's what are you dreaming about.

  * Typo fixes, cleanups
  * Cache, osdep, options, colors, history, mailcap, BFU, inphist, SSL
massive cleanups and structural changes (or other similiar stuff)

  * Slight cache behaviour changes, please watch for cache-related bugs
(ie. document suddenly disappears etc) and report them
  * FTP directory listing changes
  * document.browse.images.show_any_as_links introduced (by default on)
- toggles displaying of images at all
  * Configuration file comments can now be localized

  * Tab opening is now directly in Link/File menu, not in New window
submenu
  * Tab opening now has t/T keys bound to it

  * xterm-256color has now 256 colors enabled by default
  * document.colors.ensure_contrast now controls white-on-white
testalikes
  * Underlined links support (document.html.underline_links)
  * Control drawing of active link (document.browse.links.active_link)
  * Other color-related fixes and minor changes

  * French translation updates
  * Italian translation updates
  * Polish translation updates
  * Czech translation updates
  * Hungarian translation updates

  Please see ChangeLog for full list of changes and credits (together with
AUTHORS).

  The ELinks itself may be now found at http://elinks.or.cz/.

  BTW, I've generated some nice small commits table, so if you wonder about
who's doing most of the stuff now...

-- ELinks commit statistics from 0.5pre7 (exclusive):
Total commits: 692
pasky   Petr Baudis                     287 commits  41.4%
jonas   Jonas Fonseca                   213 commits  30.7%
zas     Laurent Monin                   145 commits  20.9%
fabio   Fabio Bonelli                    19 commits   2.7%
kuser   Karsten Schölzel                 13 commits   1.8%
witekfl Witold Filipczyk                  9 commits   1.3%
vinnui  Varga Balázs                      6 commits   0.8%

PS: Again, you're welcomed to join #elinks at irc.freenode.net, if you want to
see ELinks developers alive! :)

PPS: If you don't know yet, we've a bugzilla at http://bugzilla.elinks.or.cz/.

  Happy autumn it's-getting-even-colder hacking,

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
.