List:       elinks-dev
Subject:    Re: [elinks-dev] Re: patch: generate *.gmo files to the source
From:       Jonas Fonseca <fonseca () diku ! dk>
Date:       2005-12-06 13:23:11

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <kon@iki.fi> wrote Tue, Dec 06, 2005:
> Jonas Fonseca <fonseca@diku.dk> writes:
>
> > However, after running cg-export we run ./autogen.sh,
> > ./configure and for the HEAD branch 'make -C po' so that people without
> > the autotools and gettext tools installed can use the tarballs.
>
> I am surprised you tar up an already configured tree, as INSTALL
> tells the user to run ./configure.

Well, that is mostly in order to populate doc/ with some nice HTML docs.

> >> Anyway, po/*.gmo wouldn't be the only generated files in the
> >> source tree.  Specifically, autogen.sh places several files
> >> there: acinclude.m4, aclocal.m4, config.h.in, and configure.
> >> If storing po/*.gmo in the source tree would cause you trouble,
> >> how do you cope with these?
> >
> > They are kind of different, IMO, since those generated files can be
> > shared across several builds, no?
>
> po/*.gmo can also be shared across builds, if po/*.po are the
> same in each build.  If the po/*.gmo files depended on the user's
> compilation environment or configuration options, there'd be
> no point in adding them in elinks-*.tar.gz.  (IIRC, there are
> big-endian and little-endian variants of the GNU MO format, but
> the GNU Gettext library can recognize and convert them on the fly.)

You obviously feel very strong about this, and I don't really, although
I really like the idea of putting 'compiled' stuff in the build dir.
Also I think it makes sense to have all generated by ./autogen.sh in the
source dir (the bootstrapping) and everything else (generated by
./configure and make) in the build dir. Does it really make that big a
difference?

--
Jonas Fonseca