List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] FOR SALE: K2 &K3
From:       Gwen Patton <ardrhi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-08-30 19:01:56

I lived in an apartment complex, and ran HF, VHF, and UHF. I had to be
stealthy about it, but I made it work. We were on the 3rd floor, with a
balcony facing a parking lot that had a copse of trees behind it. I could
attach a fishing sinker to the end of a piece of magnet wire and shoot it
into the trees. Then I used a random wire tuner to operate HF. I got a
bunch of contacts in Western Europe. Some were in the UK, and many were in
Ireland. Nobody was the wiser. For the local 2m repeater I tried a copper
J-Pole, sprayed with a textured fleck paint that matched the brick facade
of the building perfectly. It couldn't be seen from the ground at all, it
was that well hidden. But the neighbor below us had trouble with his clock
radio receiving our 2m activity, so I gave away the J-Pole and built a 2m
Moxon. That was hidden inside a wooden privacy lattice. We put 2 of these
little gazebo-like fences on the balcony, one on each end, and the antenna
was mounted inside one end. The null lobe was toward the building, and the
downstairs neighbor never complained again.

If I had to move into an apartment or other place that didn't allow outside
antennas, I have a usable small transmitting loop that I could use indoors
with some success. I've hit Bavaria with it using 5w with the antenna in my
house on my workbench, so it must be getting out. Just a cheap loop I got
on Ebay for around $100US

73,
Gwen, NG3P