List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Common K3 failure modes???
From:       Fred Jensen <k6dgwnv () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-06-27 22:58:10

Realistically, a manufacturer can only rely on the first category --
readily available parts.  Production scheduling, staffing, sales,
distribution all require a predictable, steady, stable supply of ALL
components.  Microprocessor, microcontroller, and ASIC parts are
especially sensitive because, to remain competitive in their markets,
their manufacturers must keep pace with technology, and providing a
stable supply of older, superceded parts is almost always a non-starter.

The US Air Force monitors the availability of a myriad of parts for an
aircraft and the requirements for them.  As parts will become
unavailable, they will often contract for a "lifetime buy" to support
the aircraft until its retirement from the fleet, which might be decades
in the future. This works because the USAF has the financial resources
for the purchase and the space to warehouse all those items and the
capability to distribute them.  A lifetime buy for K3 parts is out of
the question for Elecraft.

My K3 is serial #642.  Elecraft has upgraded it twice, and I've
purchased all of the modular units I will need ... plus a couple I find
I don't need. [:=)  It is wholly unreasonable for me to expect that
Elecraft will be able to continue upgrades in perpetuity.  I was told it
was modular when I bought it, it turned out it was, it has met my needs
and expectations and still does.  I've been licensed for 70 years this
summer.  If it finally fails or fails to meet my needs, I will retire it
and get a new one.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW #142
Sparks NV DM09dn