List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] Field Day and FT-8
From:       Ed Cole <kl7uw () acsalaska ! net>
Date:       2022-06-27 20:27:16

Ham radio is a TECHNICAL hobby. We are required to pass an exam
demonstrating that we understand the underlying principles, our
privileges are based on our having that understanding, and it is our
LAWFUL responsibility to transmit clean signals.

A major problem is that many hams have never bothered to learn the many
fundamentals of radio, audio, and electronics, stopping after memorizing
only enough Q&A to pass the exam for their license.

73, Jim K9YC
---------------
Jim,

Have to smile (or cringe) at your observations.  I certainly did not
have much technical knowledge when I got my first license in 1958
(Novice at age 14).  And most hams were not wanting to be bothered
explaining anything to a "kid".

I bought ARRL books and eventually QST from which I absorbed a little
bit. I used the Q&A approach to passing exams (even the 2nd Class Radio
telephone license).

My first antenna was a 40-meter folded dipole made from TV twinlead
(locally obtainable).  I just soldered a PL-259 onto the twinlead and
screwed into my DX-35.  Peak-n-dip and I had output.  SWR????

I took Elect. Engineering in college and learned a lot of higher math
ways of designing electronics (but the simple algebraic equations in the
ARRL Handbook carried my further).  design now involves sw apps.

Starting as a young engineer, I learned enough to know I didn't know
much about much.  An older mentor provided wise education on many
things.  But with no desire or ambition to learn; null = null.

The knob thing came from many CBer upgrades to ham radio. Or "More" is
better.  I am still running into hams that do not know how to solder
even basic things.  My last 20-years of professional life I was doing
surface-mount troubleshooting and repairs.  New techs just swap boards.

I use FT8 mostly on 6m.  I noted that audio level had to be adjusted if
I switched to MSK-144 (both pgms under wsjt-x).  I run a K3.

73, Ed - KL7UW
Note to Wayne: I worked as tech writer with Hughes Aircraft for 2-1/2
years.  But at age 78 might be a bit late for being employed, again.