List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] D-104 Mic Element Replacement
From:       "Gary Peterson" <kzerocx () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-02-24 21:32:35

If you have a working, unamplified D-104, the solution to this is quite simple.

Back in the 1990s, my transceiver was a TS-830S.  I had a pre-citizens band D-104.  \
These classic microphones were much heavier than the later ones and had a stamped \
serial number plate riveted to the head.

The output of these microphones was very high and, when connected to an input with an \
impedance of a few tens of thousands of ohms, the frequency response was very \
strident.  The Astatic data sheet for the D-104 contained a graph, with curves, which \
showed how a lower impedance load suppressed the mid range and bass response.  Inside \
the base of the push to talk stand, I placed a 787 kilohm,, quarter-watt, metal film \
resistor in series with the hot side of crystal cartrige output.

The D-104 no longer sounded shrill.  The response was silky smooth, as determined by \
transmitting into a dummy load and recording the audio from a second transceiver.  As \
a bonus, I could then run my mic gain at eleven o clock, rather than nine o clock.  \
This made it much easier to set the mic gain properly, as the control was not so \
touchy.

I was actively DXing, back then, and the slightly modified D-104 did a great job of \
breaking pileups.  I was often complimented on my audio and often asked what \
microphone I was using.

Gary, K0CX

"Most D-104 mikes are not suited for use with today's radios.? The
original D-104 was designed to work into a load impedance of 4 meg-ohms
or higher.? Today's radios microphone input is about 50k ohms or so.??
The result is then excessive load on the D-104 element.? This is the
major cause of frequency response issues.  Bob McGraw"

https://www.avg.com