List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] What happened to ALC?
From:       Fred Jensen <k6dgwnv () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-01-31 21:40:50

Not sure I see the difference.  AVC [now called AGC aka audio
compression], at it's simplest rectifies the audio from the detector and
uses it as variable bias on one or more of the IF stages such that the
IF gain is inversely proportional to the audio level.  The original goal
was to provide a constant volume in the presence of a fading RF signal.
The K3 takes that concept to exceptional heights of course with multiple
attack times, thresholds, slopes, and release times, maybe a tad too
many for folks like me.  ALC, at its simplest rectifies the RF at the
input to the PA and feeds the variable DC back into the transmit chain
to control the power applied to the PA with the goal of preventing  PA
saturation.

Both introduce distortion by the very fact that they modify the waveform
of the original signal.  Both reduce the dynamic range of the
transmitted signal, that is, both increase the average energy in the RF
envelope. The original question however was simply, "If ALC was so great
at reducing the effects of PA saturation in the early days of SSB, why
isn't it that great now?"  Granted, one manufacturer's amplifier may not
feed back the correct varying DC levels to another manufacturer's
transceiver, but that's just adjustment.

Around the time SSB was being born, most [or maybe nearly all] AM
broadcast stations ran at least two audio limiters in the chain to the
transmitter.  The first had a fairly short time constant and sort of
shaved off the peaks.  The second ["Sta-Level"] had a much longer time
constant and responded to the average audio level.  The result was
modulation that hung around 100% all the time.  AM broadcast has changed
a lot since then and I don't know for sure if they are as heavily
limited, but listening to several local ones, they sure sound like they
have almost zero dynamic range.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn