List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] KPA-500 270V ERR
From:       David Gilbert <ab7echo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-08-27 2:08:40

Well, at the risk of offending Fred ...

A PIN diode has an intrinsic (I) region between the P and N junctions.
The I region is almost completely undoped and therefore the carrier
lifetimes are long relative to the frequency of the signal being
switched.  A PIN diode is turned on with CURRENT bias, and as long as
the signal current is less than the bias current the carriers live long
enough in the I region that the signal just swishes the carriers back
and forth without the diode ever becoming reverse biased ... and that
holds pretty much no matter what the signal peak to peak voltage is.
You turn off a PIN by removing the bias current ... or better yet,
reversing it to pull out the carriers.  The hard part of making a normal
PIN diode is that you have to start with an intrinsic wafer and then
diffuse first from one side and then the other side ... and while you're
diffusing the second side the dopant from the first side wants to
contaminate the I region.  (There are other techniques but they get even
weirder).

A PN diode, on the other hand, is forward biased (i.e., "on") as long as
the control VOLTAGE exceeds the signal voltage.  As soon as the voltage
across the diode reverses, mobile carriers are soon swept out of the
junction area and the diode becomes reverse biased and shuts off.  As
you say, that reverse bias could from either the control voltage OR a
higher than expected signal voltage if the reverse peaks of the signal
voltage exceed the control voltage. How fast all of that that happens
depends upon the carrier lifetimes in the junction region and the
frequency of the signal being switched.  Fast switching diodes are built
with high doping levels to give a narrow junction and short carrier
lifetimes, but some high voltage diodes have low doping levels, wide
junctions, and therefore moderately slow carrier recombination times.
If it just happens that the carrier lifetimes are long enough compared
to the signal frequency, it can work.  However, I think it's generally
bad practice to use a standard diode as a PIN because unexpectedly high
signal voltages can reverse bias the diode and create signal distortion
... plus the fact that diode manufacturers are NOT designing standard
diodes for use as a PIN diode, and they are NOT specifically trying to
control carrier lifetimes during fabrication.  A pair of high voltage
switching diodes can both fully meet the data sheet specs, while one
works quite a bit better than the other when used as a PIN.  That which
works with today's batch might not work with tomorrow's.

73,
Dave   AB7E