List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] [K2] Odd AGC problem with K60XV installed
From:       Don Wilhelm <donwilh () embarqmail ! com>
Date:       2020-11-28 23:19:01

Bill,

It is also a mystery to me that it is intermittent rather than a solid
failure.  That might imply that something is breaking into oscillation
and overwhelming the VRFDET line.  That is why I suggested you check the
component placement and the diode orientation.
That intermittent condition can also be caused by a soldering problem
that takes some time to appear.

For the non-transverter bands, it is only necessary that the 4.7pF
capacitor be in the circuit and that relay K1 be in the reset position.

If you hear a relay click when this problem starts, then look to the
firmware on the K60XV to make sure all its related components are in
place - there are not many.  If you do hear the relay click, one thing
you can do is to arbitrarily replace the resonator.  While I have never
seen an intermittent resonator (dead one = yes), it is one possibility.

73,
Don W3FPR