List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] ALC implementation
From:       Don Wilhelm <donwilh () embarqmail ! com>
Date:       2019-06-29 17:57:48

Greg,

The Elecraft power control is done in the RF stages and not the audio.
After a band change or a change in the POWER knob, the power control
loop is reset.
The response time is quick enough that you do not notice it in normal
operation, although it does take a dot or two in CW or a couple of
syllables in voice to obtain enough RF output to be properly measured by
the wattmeter and fed back to the MCU.

In the case of digital modes, if the audio is not sufficient, the
measured power will be lower than what is requested by the power knob
and the radio will begin to ramp up power - but if one or more of the RF
stages has reached its limit, there will not be enough power, and the RF
output level will come up quite slowly or not at all - so the radio
continually "hunts" for the power the power requested, but never makes it.

So keep the audio up to that specified for data (4 bars solid, 5th
flashing) or voice modes (5 to 7 bars) and all will be well.

73,
Don W3FPR