List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] KX3 headphone output impedance and recommended speaker
From:       Don Wilhelm <donwilh () embarqmail ! com>
Date:       2019-06-29 17:44:11

Dennis,

Impedance matching in audio circuits has not been important since the
days of vacuum tubes with audio output transformers.

Were you operating the KX3 on batteries when you found that oscillation?
  If so, the internal resistance of the batteries would be the cause of
the oscillation.

For the computer connection, just use standard stereo audio cables - no
need to match impedance - just set the audio level correctly.

For amplified speakers, I recommend West Mountain Radio COMspkr mainly
because they are shielded and do not howl with the transmit RF.

73,
Don W3FPR