List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] Elecraft CW Net Report
From:       kevinr <kevinr () coho ! net>
Date:       2019-01-28 4:04:53

Good Evening,

    Conditions were better on both bands.  QSB was everywhere but I was
able to reach farther across the country.  Alberta Clipper was the storm
type.  Dry snow, lots of drifting, followed by deep cold.  Good thing
dry snow insulates so well.  My mother was born in North Dakota so she
knew kids could get along just fine in the cold.  If you burrow into one
of those snow drifts you can stay out in the cold for hours.

   On 14049.5 kHz at 2200z:

W0CZ - Ken - ND

AB9V - Mike - IN

K6XK - Roy - IA

KS4L - Randy - AL

K4TAX - Bob - TN

K4TO - Dave - KY

NO8V - John - MI

   On 7047 kHz at 0000z:

K4TO - Dave - KY

W6JHB - Jim - CA

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

K6PJV - Dale - CA

KG7V - Marv - WA

K7EW - Steve - OR

W0CZ - Ken - ND

W8OV - Dave - TX

   Forty meters brought a few very close contacts.  One from the beaches
of southern Washington the other from NW Portland.  With the topography
around here that means the RF was going straight up and straight back
down again.  Propagation is improving as the sun returns.  I hope the
SFU gets into the 80s again.  Conditions seemed better today even though
it was only at 72.  There is a real sunspot showing.  It sent off a C5
class flare yesterday but it missed the earth.  Maybe on the next pass
its aim will be a little better.

    73,

       Kevin.  KD5ONS

*LUNKWILL:*
Are you not as we designed you to be, the greatest, most powerful
computer in all creation?

*DEEP THOUGHT:*
I described myself as the second greatest …/Deep Thought/… and such…

*LUNKWILL:*
Yes yes but…

*DEEP THOUGHT:*
…I am.

*LUNKWILL:*
But, but, but - this is preposterous! Are you not a greater computer
than /The Milliard Gargantu-Brain at Maximegalon/, which can count all
the atoms in a star in a millisecond?

*DEEP THOUGHT:*
/The Milliard Gargantu-Brain/, a mere abacus. Mention it not.

*FOOK:*
And are you not a more fiendish disputant than /The Great Hyperlobic
Omnicognate Neutron-Wrangler/? Which can destroy -

*DEEP THOUGHT:*
/The Great Hyperlobic Omnicognate Neutron-Wrangler/ can talk all four
legs off an Arcturan Mega-Donkey but only I can persuade it to go for a
walk afterwards. Molest me not, with this, pocket calculator stuff!

*LUNKWILL:*
Then what’s the problem?

*DEEP THOUGHT:*

I speak of none, but the computer that is to come after me.

{ 7 and 1/2 million years later}

A computer, whose merest operational parameters I am not worthy to
calculate, and yet I will design it for you.

A computer which can calculate the Question, to the Ultimate Answer. A
computer of such infinite and subtle complexity that organic life itself
will form part of its operational matrix. And it shall be called… the
Earth.

March 29, 1978

-------