List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft] Potential Solution for: Windows 10 USB problems after UPDATE(AKA: K3s USB/Driver issues)
From:       Clay Autery <KY5G () montac ! com>
Date:       2018-05-31 9:00:13

OK.... I think these are ALL the links needed to get all the stuff I used...

Essentially, you want to use USB Oblivion, Ghostbuster, USB View, an =

Enviroment Variable change to show unconnected devices, et al to make =

visible what you need to see AND to allow you to CLEARLY identify which =

devices need to be uninstalled. Ghostbuster has the additional function =

of IDing other stuff too.=A0 You want to be VERY sure you aren't deleting =

something you don't want to delete or you CAN hose the installation of =

the OS entirely....=A0 There are a number of things I don't touch...=A0 Use =

Google search and read if you aren't sure.=A0 The VID/PID listing will =

help you ID devices with crappy descriptions bu IDing the manufacturer =

(Vendor ID/VID) and product (PID).

NOTE: Connect ALL critical USB components before starting EXCEPT the =

devices that aren't working properly.=A0 THEN, don't uninstall any =

connected devices.=A0 IF you have multiple configs on different ports for =

the SMAE device, THIS should help ID which is where and which to =

delete.=A0 Delete ALL instances of NON-working devices.... HOPEFULLY, =

doing so will allow a FRESH install of the non-working device that will =

function properly.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usboblivion-remove-usb-traces-windows

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/a-ghostbuster-for-your-windows-7

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-non-present-devices-windows

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools

https://wvd-vegt.bitbucket.io/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview

You'll need to become familiar with how it all works....=A0 Win 10 DEVICE =

MANAGER is your friend.=A0 The "Details" tab on each device entry will =

give you a way to cross check each device in the tools I listed above to =

VERIFY if you want to uninstall a device.=A0 While the tools have varying =

ability to do this automated in and in mass fashion, I ONLY used Device =

Manager to do the uninstalls.=A0 One of the articles shows how to set an =

Environment Variable in "Advanced System Settings--->Environment =

Variables that allows DEVICE MANAGER to display disconnected devices.=A0 =

THEN, in Device Manager you set it to "SHow Hidden Devices".=A0 NOW, it =

will show everything.=A0 Then use primarily Ghostbuster (download at Swiss =

Tools....) (use the installable version, the portable version isn't as =

feature filled.) to identify candidates...=A0 cross check with the other =

tools AND the Details tab on Device Manager... Then, decide if you want =

to uninstall, and then uninstall... ONE at a time!!!

In general....=A0 don't uninstall any "hubs" even if they aren't =

connected.=A0 There will be an entry probably for every flash drive or =

card reader EVER connected.=A0 Certain devices if they were plugged into =

multiple ports will have multiple entries.
USBVIEW from Microsoft via the SDK Tools, will show you a GREAT =

hierarchical layout of the ENTIRE USB tree established from last OS =

install.

Hope this helps a little...=A0 I had 237 entries on Ghostbuster of all =

type devices....=A0 82 of them were NOT connected.=A0 I ended up deleting =

some 70+ devices...

As a side note....=A0 my computer sped up quite a bit.... I deleted at =

least ONE thing I probably shouldn't have and it caused my USB Audio =

Codec entries to be re-enumerated and dumped the title and custom icon =

on it.... It happened to be one of my VNWA USB Codecs and VNWA chose the =

wrong two on next startup.... Chose two from my Mackie Pre-Amp USB =

audion interface....=A0 Took me about 20 minutes to figure it out and =

re-set it up.... but the ones it created WERE still there.

PS - Have NO IDEA if this cleanup will fix anything for those of y'all =

who are having issues... My system was working perfectly before and now.

BUT, I suspect that uninstalling the disconnected entries of NON-working =

USB devices will pave the way for a working FRESH install.

Going on 2 all-nighters in a row... I am going to sleep now.

73,