List:       elecraft
Subject:    Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Roofing Filter Question
From:       Barry <k3ndm () comcast ! net>
Date:       2018-01-30 17:49:00

Stan,
If you use the 8 KHz receive offset, you can not use the roofing filter;
it is disables when you invoke the SHFT. So, having it will do you no
good. And, that's the simple answer.

I have my KX3 set to the offset as it cleans up the spectrum display
that I use; I've never looked into the performance difference of using
the offset or not. I did use my KX3 for causal DX, contesting, and
everything in between. It's a wonderful radio. I have since purchased a
K3s, so the KX3 has been relegated to Field Day use only.

Be careful of system sensitivity specs. Most receivers are more
sensitive than ambient conditions will allow. The .9 uV number you show
is absolutely fine for the lower end of HF, but you could use a little
more at the upper end. I live in an urban environment with power lines
and neighbors with noisy TVs, heat pumps, and solar arrays. I'd be more
than happy if I could use a sensitivity of a 1 uV on 80.

73,
Barry
K3NDM