List:       elecraft
Subject:    [Elecraft]  Wrong PIM nuts in KPA500 kit
From:       "john () kk9a ! com" <john () kk9a ! com>
Date:       2018-01-31 12:18:44

You can install PEM nuts with a hammer and anvil but it's best to do it
with a PEM insertion machine or a fixture in a press. 4-40 nuts typically
require a .166 diameter hole and 6-32 require a .188 hole.

John KK9A

Michael Blake K9JRI wrote:

I am waiting on a response from Elecraft TS on this one but I thought I
would ask if anyone else has encountered this problem on the KPA500 kit.

On the bottom edge of both the right and left side panels there are places
for three 6-32 flat head screws.  The countersunk holes are obviously
larger than those for the other 4-40 flat head screws.

In my kit one of the three PIM nuts, for each side, was the correct 6-32
thread PIM nut and the remaining two had 4-40 PIM nuts installed in the
bottom cover.  When I had temporarily installed the left hand side panel
in the middle of construction I failed to notice this and just installed
screws that fit (one 6-32 and two 4-40) but during final assembly it
became obvious that the 6-32 screws would not fit in 4 of the 6 positions.

Thinking that they just had paint in them I tried tp run a 6-32 tap
through one and it naturally seized up and twisted the PIM nut out.  Not
being the brightest bulb in the shop I tried that a second time and
twisted out the second PIM nut.

Fortunately these were both on the right hand side where there was room to
slip two 6-32 hex nuts in place and I just used two 4-40 flat head screws
on the left side.

Hopefully Elecraft will be able to send me the correct PIM nuts to replace
the four incorrect ones.  That was my request in the email to Doug at tech
support.

I certainly would not want to replace the bottom coverl as that would
require a complete disassembly of the amplifier.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Michael Blake